Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tulips and Chokecherries?

 When we moved in to this home it was late summer and after a long winter's nap, a few green things were awakened.  On the north side of our home, which is two stories at that part of the house, I discovered in the tall grass and in the constant shade, a few tulip leaves, but not one bud.  I dug up some of the soil and kept digging and eventually had nearly 100 bulbs.  Among the tulips were a few grape hyacinth and some daffodils.  I replanted the bulbs out front where the thistles had been and last year, a very few tulips came up and bloomed.  This year, I have at least 50 tulips blooming.  None of the other bulbs survived for whatever reason, but my yard is lovely this spring and lots of other soon to be flowers will replace these as they finish their turn.  So, we also ordered two dozen or so chokecherry trees which were mere sticks when they arrived and last year we had about three little trees with a very few blooms and cherries.  We did notice a difference in the shape of some of the trees and the time difference in which the leaves appeared.  Imagine my surprise when this week I discovered this tree, with this blossom below.  What the heck? No chokecherry I ever saw put on a blossom like this.  The wind was blowing and the picture not very clear, but clear enough to know it is no chokecherry.  We can hardly wait to see what about half of the trees we planted will be.  Mother nature never ceases to amaze. 
 We have been busy for several days, maybe weeks even, drywalling,  slapping texture, and now finally priming the half of our basement which will be the pool hall/TV/exercise room.  Of course there will be ceiling to complete and carpet, but the major lifting is done and none too soon as I am ready to get outside.  My camper is calling to me.  No blog would be complete without a furkid picture or two so here is Roger and Coalette as they do most mornings while I read my paper and have my wake-up cup of coffee.
"Cleanliness is next to impossible when you live with animals."

No comments: