Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Lessons in glass and life

One of my good friends here and I started a project over 5 years ago, probably closer to six that she had seen  somewhere.  Although I have been dabbling for more years than I can remember in stained class,  this one was one of her first projects.  She had done a smaller piece at the studio we are so very lucky to have here.  We were using my equipment and since we were living over 2 hours away most of the time, it was nearly impossible to get together.  These projects take hours and hours.  There is perfecting the pattern, which we collaborated on, choosing the glass, cutting the many pieces, the hours of grinding each piece to fit perfectly, the foiling of each piece, transporting the project so she could do most of the work without get the pieces out of order or lost, tacking the pieces, soldering both front and back, adding patina and cleaning.  We chose to embellish to add structure to the piece and found a chain with which to hang it. She was a great student!!
The pictures really don't do it justice, photography isn't my strong point, but finished, it is lovely!  Good job girl!!

As I went to the door to let my furkids out today (15 degrees on the thermometer) this is what I saw.  No pretty sunrise as it was too early.  Just a sliver of the moon with one star shining.
As children, we were given lessons on the constellations.  I do not remember the details and do not have the interest that my dad had, but I remember many evenings sitting on the back slab of cement we called a porch getting these lessons.  My dad only had a 10th grade education, but he was a very intelligent man.  He knew the names of these constellations as well as their locations in the sky and how to find them.  We usually started by finding the "dippers" and the north star and from there we would navigate the sky as the early sailors must have done.  So daddy, I hope you realized wherever you gaze today, I treasure those memories on the porch as we had our schooling.

"We will be victorious if we have not forgotten how to learn." ~ Rosa Luxemburg

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Aunt Pat, you are so crafty. This piece is really lovely. Well done!