Saturday, February 23, 2013

Quilting? Jerky?

The Mr. makes wonderfully delicious jerky.  The Native Americans called this dried meat "charqui" (pronounced "sharkey"), which was later anglicized into "jerky".  Buffalo, deer, elk, antelope and other "wild" forms of meat dried in the sun provided nourishment for them.  We use beef now that we no longer hunt and for us it is a treat rather than a necessity. 
 After the strips are marinated overnight, they are placed on shelves and placed in a manufactured dehydrator "not the sun here" for several hours at a temperature of 155 degrees.
 This cat thinks she can sleep anywhere! The Mr. played in a Rocky Mtn. team pool tournament last weekend near Loveland and we took advantage of the opportunity to shop.  Just the girls!  My quilt buddies from Cheyenne and my friend from Brighton all met and shopped for quilt fabric at a wonderful shop in Berthod called the Laughing Ladies.  I was looking for fabric for backing and batting for both the above quilt as well as my friend's Dresden Plate quilt top.  I have started to quilt the redwork but I have discovered that Coalette sleeps on it whenever she can, even when I am trying to quilt it.  Bad Cat!
This is a Crown of Thorns plant given to me by a friend and never having seen one before, I had to do some research to determine how to care for it.  She told me that it blooms continually and even though I trimmed it severely as the research indicated, it is doing quite well.  It was an old plant and had gotten a bit leggy but it is so pretty and special to me since my friend trusted me with it.  However as it's name suggests, it is really thorny.

 I haven't blogged in a few days, so this is a mish/mash of stuff, trying to get caught up and more organized as there are many projects to start and complete in my constantly turning mind. 

No comments: