Friday, December 13, 2019

Christmas Rose


A few posts ago, I said that my intention was to finish some projects.  This quilt top is DONE! It will not have borders and measures 80X96.  I have the backing and the batting and most likely won't glue baste it until after Christmas, but will do that and start quilting soon after.  Rummaging through my UFO's I found the Pink Caramel 6 1/2" squares from the Farmer's Wife 1920's book.  I have 33 of them completed and worked on it last in 2016.  So that will be my next big project to work on.  It will get finished I hope.  My neighbor behind me with the chickens and new beautiful baby named Charlotte brought me more eggs last weekend.  I made a quilt for Charlotte and when I called to tell her it was done, she walked over in the rain, with Charlotte snuggled at her chest. She also wants to learn to quilt so I hope I can help her with that endeavor.

The Mr. and I have been busy, me at baking goodies and helping him when I can.  We mounted 3 of our tv's on walls, replaced all of the recessed lightbulbs (and adjusted some of the fixtures) as the bulbs were too small in the can lights. He is making shelves for an old sled that I have placed on end to be repurposed as a night stand next to a twin bed, put shelving in his workroom closet and lots of small projects with many more on the list.

My daughter gave me a couple of rose bushes this summer and I planted them in the beds out front, not expecting them to do well...I have never been  very successful with roses, but look!  It had one rose on the spindly bush this summer and when we had a freeze last week, I noticed that a partially open rose had frozen.  I didn't even know it had bloomed.  So look.....I have several buds about to open.  Please, don't freeze again!
I have spoken with some of my friends back in Wyoming this past few days.  I miss them but I very much intend to stay in touch.  I do not miss the snow.  I also received a wonderful card from my neighbor in Cheyenne and she informed me that they had lost their dog.  He was having health issues when we left and that another neighbor, a wonderful neighbor in his 80's had lost his dog.  So all three of us had to say goodbye to our furry friends this fall.

We took a drive yesterday to Littlerock WA as the Mr. is scheduled to play pool there next week.  Not being familiar at all with much here, we knew he would be traveling in the dark so thought it would be a good idea to find it.  Rather than take the interstate, we opted to take the back streets and roads.  Littlerock is just a wide spot with a post office in a trailer, a bar and a grocery store, but the drive was beautiful!  It was drizzling a bit, but a good deal of the drive was rural and with so many green acreages and trees, it was pleasant.  It took us about 50 minutes to reach this little burg, but it was a pretty drive.

"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses." ~ Ziggy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your quilt is beautiful!! If you put a border or two on, it would fit My bed... BB

Pat said...

Not putting a border on it, but if you want to come and finish it...you can.