Thursday, January 2, 2020

New Year projects

Oops! Should have flipped this picture...So I took a little break from this blog over the Christmas holiday, but not from the many projects in our list.  This entryway runs from the kitchen to the hallway toward the bedrooms and you enter from the front double doors.  It drops down a step to the carpeted room where the pool table resides although I think it was considered a sunken living room at the time the home was built.  We have worked on a myriad of small projects but this entryway was so dark that I didn't realize that the grout wasn't actually dark.  The bricks are of varied colors so being in a high traffic area, and since it was all dark..it wasn't a priority.  With a bucket of water and a scrub brush and some heavy duty cleaner, I have been on my hands and knees scrubbing a little bit every morning.  I am nearly finished and you can see how dirty it was and still is in this area. YUK!  
 The Mr. has been busy with small projects also.  He needed a cue holder and opted for a small one rather than a larger one as he has had in the past. A few years ago, a friend gifted me an old table and 4 chairs as I reuse and repurpose things.  The table was in really bad shape so it couldn't be used so the chairs without seats were reused as stools at the foot of the bed for the dogs to use.  We cut off the backs which I painted as garden angels and returned them to the gifter for her daughters.  The legs were shortened and new cushions fashioned for stools for the dogs.  We used them in 2 homes and when we moved in here, they were not needed.  The wood was old, but nice hardwood so the Mr. took them apart and the pieces were sanded, routed, and cut to size, then glued and painted. He installed them yesterday. This was just a small part of the chair wood.

So as promised, I am slowly finishing some UFO's. This is the quilt that I am assembling with the Farmer's Wife 6" squares.  These are the ones that I had finished, and I have begun to stitch some more. If I make 18 more, I can have a square quilt and I have completed a few this week. I call it "pink caramel" and we'll see how many I can finish.
One of the projects we completed this morning was the light over the dining table.  I don't have a picture, but it has 3 lights and was designed to hang from a chain.  However this kitchen/dining area has really low ceilings, so the chain was just looped up and tied with a wrap.  Removing some chain links seemed like a small project since we have done so much of this kind of remodeling but we neglected to take pictures and struggled to figure out how to reassemble it when it was shortened.  It literally took us all morning to finish this project, but it got cleaned and we finally figured it out, even though there were a few extra pieces left over?  It looks great and the main thing is that it works.

One of our neighbors stopped yesterday as we were taking down our lights and after she left, I thought about our conversation.  She is a master gardener and has been very helpful in informing us of the native plants and offered me some of hers earlier this year.  But reflecting on what I have tried..some successful and some not.  I can do many things...a jack of all trades and a master of none.

"When I was growing up I always wanted to be SOMEONE.  Now I realize I should have been more SPECIFIC."  ~ Lily Tomlin

1 comment:

Debbie Baldwin said...

We hope your ears are burning. We’re in our favorite room and working away. Gwen is feeling better and goes to see her doctor Thursday. This is her follow-up from her stroke. Deb is still at home. Her brace makes it a little difficult to get around and Rod has to take her. Becky said she’s going to try and bring Deb to Applique next week. The two groups have combined now.

We sure miss you. Hope you’re settling in.