Friday, September 26, 2008

Home

Home......"Home at last". Part of a quote from Thomas Wood. The Mr. and I are working at making this abode our home. Some call us 'flippers', and it may seem to those who know us well that we have done that in the past. It keeps us busy. We buy at a good price and have been fortunate to make a profit on our sales, but really I think it is time to stop. The Mr. has spent the better part of the week scraping, caulking and priming the exterior of the house on a tall, tall ladder when necessary. We still have to pick our colors for the final coat, but that is still a week or so away, providing the weather holds. I began stripping this ONE wall of paper and have discovered that this is original to the home, no sizing or paint behind this wall and the paper is so old and brittle that what you see is the result of 3 hours work. It will take me an eternity to finish this and I have removed LOTS of wallpaper in the past. Nothing compares to this!!! UGLY
We also need carpet and that will be on this week's agenda....to price carpet. There are always those incidentals...in stripping wallpaper from the guest bedroom (balloons), I moved the ladder, and a plastic water bottle for spraying fell off hitting my glasses which couldn't be repaired. So I had to fork out over $400.00 for an eye exam and new glasses. Gorilla tape held them together until I could find an old pair to wear for now. I have finished staining the woodwork and the interior doors. They are beautiful now!!! They were scratched and are all 2 over 4 paneled (maple I think). Paint on the walls will complete this makeover for the fall. Next spring the yard will be a priority. Pictures of the doors will be posted soon as well as this dining room remake. We have had the most glorious weather as the first day of fall has come and gone. It still is in the 70's and the trees are beginning to turn and the nights and mornings are a little cooler. I spoke with an older lady tonight about the beautiful evening and sunset, as I was waiting for a friend and she said "yes, why would you live anywhere else". She had been here for 50 years. We are living to turn this house into our home and....
~It takes a heap o' living to make a house a home!~ Edgar A Guest

No comments: