Sunday, February 7, 2010

Furbaby

We have had a house guest for a few days. Meet Roger. In June we adopted Spencer, a rescue dog and he needed a "buddy". When we saw this picture from the "Healing Journey Rescue", we wanted to see if he would make a companion for Spencer and see if our home would suit Roger. We all have fallen in love with him and feel that he has been very happy here so we will try to proceed with the adoption. There are so many animals needing homes now.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was more than ready to start planting. Last summer, my wonderful neighbor gave me these packets of seeds to plant. First of all the packets are beautiful. So I very carefully opened the first package which was the Columbine. I planted those seeds along with some of the other seeds I have been hoarding and gathering in small containers, hoping to successfully get them up and into the ground at the appropriate time. However, the wild flower seeds and the Wyoming Paintbrush, which is our state flower are sowed directly into the soil in the spring.
Two years ago I attended our garden club meeting at which one of the foremost wildflower experts was invited to speak. One of the things I learned about the paintbrush is that it is a sort of plant that needs a host plant in order to thrive. In other words, here in Wyoming, it needs to be growing next to a sagebrush for example or other native plant. So, that is where it will be planted and it just so happens that I have this sagebrush growing in my backyard!!!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

No comments: