Sunday, October 3, 2010

Gardening

470 bricks complete my "yellow" -- make that "red" brick road, Dorothy. With "Toto" in the background and my knees healing from the ordeal, we are quite pleased with the finished final walkway. Not wanting it to look "new", I was determined to lay this the way my grandmother might have done it. No digging down 6" and adding pea gravel or sand to be tamped to perfection. On the left will be a mulched area, shaded by the Aspen grove and on the right, the herb and veggie garden with ground cover between.
3 cubic yards of topsoil with 40% amendment filled the raised garden area and I still have to sift my black gold...compost for you non-gardeners, and add to the mix. In addition, there is a small area for herbs. The drip system is almost completed and hopefully this will look so different next year.
This is the front garden as of Oct. 1st. However, today there is a touch of fall in the air. Woke up to frost on things, but not enough to affect anything. I truly am blessed to have such wonderful friends and neighbors. Next door, I was gifted with a multitude of perennials...Hollyhock seeds from a giant pink plant, so many coral bells(I lost count), a butterfly plant, another hyssop which I divided, a geranium and others I don't even remember at the moment. Then last night, Sal came with what she calls "warm fuzzies". It was a 4 tiered indoor/outdoor plant stand which will be used to start my seedlings next spring. Thank you both!!

"To own a bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch their renewal of life---
this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do.
~ Charles Dudley Warner

No comments: