Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fall?

 These glorious sunflowers line the southeast side of the vegetable garden and will be fodder for the birds soon. I love the colors! There were so many seedlings this year that I planted some on the south side of my home and they nearly reached the top of the garage. But in spite of the temperatures in the high 80's and low 90's, my weather predictor tells me that fall is just around the corner and then snow.  Living in Wyoming, it is just a given.  We would like to go camping just one more time, but since we are still on the kitchen project (we sprayed texture this week and what a mess that is), who knows?
Our quilt guild held a show this past weekend and with over 100 quilts, both old and new, it was a large undertaking.  Having never participated in this sort of event, I volunteered to work and it was enjoyable, although it was work.  Hanging the quilts on wooden structures, some as tall as ten feet for the larger quilts was a bit frightening. Had one gone down, it would have been a domino effect.  It was a great success.  We are busy with the harvest, beets, turnips, cabbage, zucchini and the rest and I will be happy when the garden is empty, but that will surely mean fall has arrived.

"Gardens are a collaboration between art an nature." ~ Penelope Hobhouse

No comments: