Monday, November 5, 2012

My father's influence

Within the week, my father would have been celebrating his 99th birthday.  Although he has been gone for a number of years, his influence molded my life.  His sense of humor, his ability to live knowing right from wrong and his love for his family and life in general--those things were the foundation for our lives.  So again, I post a picture of his favorite color--sky blue pink.  This was a sunset this past week taken from my front porch.  Happy birthday dad.
 I will always be thankful for his frugality.  Today more than ever, we are encouraged to re-cycle.  As I have mentioned before, that is how we always lived.  Nothing was thrown out that might be re-purposed.  So when I found this cabinet at a thrift shop, it was apparent to me that it was a "make do".  My love for primitive and the history behind make do items, those re-purposed things, inspired me to make the purchase and use this in my kitchen.  It was formally part of a Hoosier type cabinet.  With two small drawers and 3 larger metal bins all mismatched materials, someone patched together this small cabinet.  It had a broken leg which had been reinforced and screw holes where a door had been.  The baked porcelain top is chipped and over sized for the piece and I have used it this way for a couple of years.  I decided to give it a new life last week and with some glue for the leg, sanding and new paint, I now have a wonderful new island for my kitchen and the bins now hold my flour, sugar and baking supplies.
This is my make do and I love it!  This picture really does not give it justice...I think it is prettier in real life!!!

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family." ~ Anthony Brandt

No comments: