Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Do you see him?

 I shot this a couple of days ago hoping that the profile would be clear and it is.  If you cast your eye to the left of the photo and slowly move your gaze to the right, you will see the sleeping Indian in the rock formations just to the southeast of us.  These I believe are Baggot Rocks.  On the right is the profile of the tree which has been the eagle's perch and three small peaks.  Then the forehead, nose, chin, neck, chest and body lying peacefully in the early morning dawn light.  This formation can also be seen for miles from the south as we travel on our return trips from Walden Colo which is about 60 miles south of us. And now of course these little bucks are easy to see as they grazed on the low brush in our back yard.  They weren't particularly concerned about me at the patio door, but my poor furkids were pitching a fit.  I finally had to chase them away so that the "kids" could eventually go outside. 
As a youngster, I ate a good deal of venison.  My dad always hunted and we always ate what he shot.
I remember sitting at the kitchen table while he and mom butchered and worked at supplementing our larder.  We always had lots of meat with the myriad of animals we raised also.  Venison was a break from the beef, duck, chicken, rabbit and occasional pork which graced our table.  Mom was not a particularly experienced cook.  As I recall, everything was either fried or roasted.  She once told me that Dad actually taught her to cook.  She recalled the first chicken that she cooked after they were married.  I was raw inside.  She made her first gravy in a skillet and it became a rather large gravy pattie it was so thick.  Because of her childhood marred with the murder of her father, she apparently had an unconventional difficult and she once told me she wasn't allowed in the kitchen.  At the time I didn't question that statement, but how I wish I knew more now.  My paternal grandmother took her under her wing and taught her to can fruits and veggies and my dad loved to garden, so we had lots of good food. However, living rurally, we didn't have salads and the fruit was limited to pears, apples, cherries, and peaches which could be canned,  and an occasional orange at Christmas. So although we led a frugal life, we surely ate well.  That would explain my addiction to food, especially dessert!  We never had a meal without it.

"In youth we learn, in age we understand." ~ Marie Ebner von Eschenbach


No comments: