Saturday, November 28, 2015

WINTER PROJECTS

This is the first of several projects that are floating around in the back of my pea brain.  And thankfully, the Mr. just goes along with my ideasHe is always there to help with my requests although sometimes I have to step back and let him take charge.

What initiated this endeavor was the purchase of new beds and the inability for one of my little furkids to access the comfy spot he always claims as his.  The other little grey guy can fly but Roger has a body built for laps only.

Last year a friend had given me an old broken table and 3 chairs and her thought was that I might
 use the wood for something.  I did take the backs and make garden angels for her daughters, but I needed some stools to put at the end of the beds.  So the Mr. first cut off the legs, and then I took offnthe old grungy seat covers.

As you can see...very grungy and they had been stored in the crawl space for about a year.  There was another original cover under these fake needlepoint covers and a million staples.

My real surprise was that there was actually straw as the first layer of padding, followed by
some other kind of cotton or wool substance. And that meant that these chairs were really old. How long has it been since straw was used in padding furniture?

So as you can see, after using a couple of garage sale seat pads which had a nice 2 inch  foam, and scrounging through my fabric stash, I recovered them with a pleather fake tooled fabric.

My adventure with the staple gun was another story.  We have 3 and they, of course, use different size staples.  The electric one which we purchased at some time to make things easier
was jammed and neither of us could even figure how to open it so I was back to using one of the old arthritis aggravating machines.

I am however, pleased with outcome and the little furkids can jump up on the bed with ease.

Today we are headed out for another adventure.  We have our tree permits and this will be the 4th year since we have had Christmas here and we are very close to tree cutting areas if we can access them.  We got a really nice snow in our area Thanksgiving and that will determine how available the forest will be for us.
So with thermos in hand and turkey sandwiches, armed with shovels, chains (yes we have been stuck) and saws we will be on the "hunt" for the perfect trees.  I always want a tall skinny tree and our partners in crime usually get a big fat tree.  We will have the camera and intend to document this trip again.

I have an old trunk that my mother-in-law gave me years ago..a steamer trunk to be exact.  It was in really poor shape on the outside, but it is in good shape inside.
I have hauled it around for about 40 years and it has been painted several times and the paint has chipped so I am giving it another life and will be documenting it on one of my next posts....perhaps after the tree adventure.

Hope all had a nice Thanksgiving and a shout out to my sister who had a birthday this past week.

"He who has imagination without learning has wings but not feet." ~ Joseph Joubert



No comments: