Monday, February 20, 2017

Pincushions and sandpaper

 OK so what do pincushions and sandpaper have in common? Not much except that is what I have been doing in my spare time.  Actually when you are retired like I am, my spare time is anytime I choose for the most part.  But I am making some pincushions for fun and hopefully I will be able to contribute some to the quilt retreat held in Encampment this summer.  I hope also to be able to attend this year.
Our move got in the way last year Anyway, I found these cute little baby Mary Janes at a thrift shop here and this is my first attempt.  I want to make several, not making any two
alike'
Now for the sandpaper....I didn't post a picture today, as I am still sanding on my project, but I have this wonderful little Singer Featherweight sewing machine, from the '50s and it came in it's original case.  I have been seeing these sturdy little cases being re-done.  The fabric covering, which has worn well, but is showing wear can be removed, the wooden case refinished and they are lovely!!!  Sounds easy right?....not so fast.  The glue which was used to adhere the fabric is tough stuff!  Next post will show the process and my perseverance will hopefully result in a gorgeous wooden carrying case for my prized machine!

"Happiness lies in the Joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort." ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

No comments: