Thursday, February 23, 2017

Winter again!!!!

 Look at my poor chairs!  This is a doozy of a storm after so many nice days, but for all of the complaining that I do, it is not flooding, or blowing us tornadoes (although the snow is blowing like crazy.)  That means that the roads are closing too.  I do not like the cold or the wind which is a given here in Wyoming.  These chairs have probably been a subject of several posts in the past, and now sport the pretty red color that I put on them last summer.  They follow me wherever I go as they are authentic from the middle of last century.  I remember my Aunt and Uncle having chairs like these back in the 50's and although reproductions are found today, they are not nearly as sturdy as the ones I have.  And the best part is that they were practically free.  I traded a small chest of drawers, originally an unfinished cheap piece to a wonderful lady (now gone to meet her maker) for them.  The glider needed some repair which the Mr. did, and I removed 4 layers of paint before my first coat.  They have been yellow, blue, and now red.  There is now a couple more inches of snow on them too.

I have been refinishing a singer featherweight wooden case for the last week and I intend to post some pictures in the next few days of the progress.  These wooden cases are as unique as the sewing machines, and I have stained mine now in preparation of painting something on it.  Stay tuned.

Christmas is always when I bake cookies and I bake a lot of them.  I deliverd to my neighbors and with a couple of them away this year, I had extras for us....a lot of extras.  Without my trusty freezer, I had to come up with some way to keep them fresh, so since it was so cold here, I had a cooler normally used for camping, in the garage and one on the deck which doubled as a freezer.  I forgot that they were there after a while, but the Mr. discovered them and we had cookies until recently.  Some of them were biscotti, which are wonderful with coffee as they are a dry, hard cookie, great for dunking.
I wanted a biscotti jar, but couldn't find one so I settled for a glass canister.  One of my favorite shopping places is our local Good Will, which is in a new building and is really nice.  At a recent "shopping trip" there, look what was on a shelf just screaming at me!!!  So for a mere $3.00, it is mine!
With the white fluffy stuff out there, I will indulge in the biscotti and coffee and dream of the day when I can do it on my red vintage glider.

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.  If you can dream it, you can become it." ~ William Arthur Ward.

No comments: