Thursday, June 15, 2017

Thriftin', sewin' & hailin'

 For the sum of one whole dollar, I found this shelf at the Meals on Wheels thrift mart.  I simply cleaned it and sanded a little to distress it and hung it on my sewing wall with some of my other finds and treasures.
 This "Beary Patches" quilt is an Annette Ornelas pattern.  I fell in love with the pattern when first I saw it and was determined to actually finish it after starting the pattern.  (I will never finish everything I start) It is the perfect size for a wall. I'm thinking though that I want eyes on the bears, so I will start looking for something.
Now I have mentioned the thrift and some of the sew, but the hail?.....On Monday eight of us quilters embarked on a shop hop of sorts.  My car with 4 and another car of 4 left a parking lot near here at about 8:30.  When a group of ladies travel together, there is always a "potty stop" first, and this stop allowed some of us to shop also.  Then we arrived in Lyons Co, which is about 70 or so miles south and like all quilt shops, it is eye candy for a quilter.  We spent a good deal of time there and shopped another gift shop and decided to drive to Berthoud for lunch where we ate at the Train Stop,  I think that was the name of the place.  Anyway, before we left we had been aware of impending bad weather..actually severe weather including tornadoes.  The Laughing Ladies quilt Shop was just around the corner from our lunch stop and as we were shopping, the warnings came over the speakers about rain, wind, hail and tornadoes just a few miles from us including our route back to Cheyenne.  We felt that we might miss them and continued to shop although we encountered people who had been in the hail and wind which we apparently had missed.  We decided to wait a bit and headed to Windsor the Quilter's Stash, another great shop.  We passed areas that had been hit with heavy rains, but encountered none and as we continued to shop for fabric there, more warnings came over the speakers.  We left and had heard that there was a great ice cream shop on the way (who doesn't like a treat?) and we stopped at Freddies and all had yummy for the tummy things.  By this time, we could see the storm north and moving that way so onward we drove reaching the parking lot at about 5 I think.  4 of the gals had left their cars parked in the lot.  ALL were damaged..windshields, sun roofs, pitted hoods, tops etc. The Mr. had been shoveling hail...mostly small stuff but he had some golf ball sized pieces in the freezer.  There was damage to homes from tornadoes east of us and lots of vehicle damage here, but in our trek to shop for fabric, we just avoided every bit of bad weather.  I feel so bad for the 4 gals who left their vehicles here. However, it was a great day and a wonderful bunch of ladies to quilt shop hop with me.

" I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship." ~ Louisa May Alcott

No comments: