Sunday, December 16, 2007

Busy Days



Above are the shots of the leather belt that the Mr. completed for a little girl we know. She won a beautiful buckle for barrel racing and for Christmas, her mother wanted a belt with tooled horseshoes.  But the Mr. found these jeweled conchos and the belt really turned out nice.
This week has been so busy.  One day this week my very good friend, Barb, came and we spent all day baking goodies.  For 38 years this month, we have known each other.  Our friendship has endured years of drama and sadness and happiness.  We helped each other with sick children, she pushed me out of snowdrifts when my old VW got stuck, she convinced me to take classes with her.  We took tailoring classes, cake decorating classes, ceramic classes and some I can't remember. I moved away for 3 years, then she moved away for 10. We saw each other through the death of our parents, the births of our children and grandchildren.  My daughter still has the baby blanket Barb made in pink when I was thoroughly convinced I was giving birth to another boy.  But we have never quite conquered divinity.  I am speaking of the candy...although we may think we are nearly Divine.  We made two batches this week of this sticky white sugary confection.  The first was way too dry and we argued  if perhaps beating the egg white too much or the entire mixture too much was the cause of our failure.  Never to be discouraged we tried again.  Success at last, after 38 years. As I prepared to take my soaking bath that evening for my aching feet which supported me all day, I brushed my hands through my hair and to my surprise----divinity. When you insert a spatula into an electric beater before it stops moving, the substance on the beaters flies in many directions and in this case, the divinity deposited itself in my hair.  Thanks Barb!!!  (we had a great day and I hope you all are blessed with a friend as wonderful as mine).




No comments: