Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Creativity



"I have too much creativity to be contained in one medium."  This is a quote I heard this week and quickly wrote down, but in my haste, I forgot the origin of the quote and don't know who should receive the credit.  I do know that I feel it totally expresses my feelings.  My greatest fear is that I will not live long enough to accomplish all that I want to do.  A few earlier posts I published a stone slice which I wanted to incorporate into a piece of stained glass and I did find the pattern which will allow me to do that.  These few pictures here will show some of the progress.  Tools, pattern and the beginning of the glass cutting process.  More pictures to follow as I progress.
Today I was able to wander back into the past with the opportunity to be among the cattle.  My good friend, Debby and I had coffee this morning and then she invited me to go with her to "feed" the cattle.  She has purchased several head of bred heifers which will calve in the spring.  We drove the ol' truck with hay bales in the bed across the snow covered field. (you need a 4 wheel drive with as much snow as we have now) All animals, including humans become creatures of habit. The cattle followed the truck, knowing that it contained their breakfast and when we came to a stop, they hurried to catch up, kicking their heels and crowding around us. As Debby broke up  the bales for them, I asked her if she had named them.  "Some", she replied.  The one with the number 69 green tag in her ear was "Bingo....you know --under O for 69".  She has named others but I don't recall their names.  As we drove down to her favorite spot near the creek and in the shelter of the trees, it reminded me that so many people would not understand what peace a place like that brings to some of us.  The snow began to fall and I remembered days as a child when we would go out and break up hay bales for the cow and horses, and break the layer of ice on the stock tank of water and the calves would splash warm milk on us as they sucked from the buckets we held for them. It was, at the time, only work for us.  We complained and it did no good.  Chores had to be done before school. Even as I did chores, I remember daydreaming about drawing, or designing a dress for my dolls, or some such creation. I don't like rules....I think they stifle creativity.  Who knows, even feeding the cows may inspire some young person's desire to be creative. 



No comments: