Wednesday, June 18, 2008

And life goes on

No pictures to post today, just an update on the bluebirds and life in general. Day before yesterday I woke up to all of the wonderful sounds of new life in my backyard. The robins have a distinct call and the blackbirds, both red wings and yellow heads are quite loud actually, even to the extent of being obnoxious. But the bluebirds I have been watching have a sweeter call. As I sat at my kitchen having that first cup of "java" to get my heart started, I noticed a flock of bluebirds at the fence. Two males and three females sitting on the cross rails bickering and fighting. This was unusual to observe and upon closer investigation, I discovered that they were new babies. They were trying their wings on the fence fluttering from the crossbars to the top and back to the gravel on the ground. Watching this was so much fun, but I did notice that they continued to "pick" on one little female. After about 45 minutes, they ventured further and further except for the little female who moved closer to the garage and sat alone in the sun for at least another two hours. Occasionally a male would come and torment her and she eventually flew to the ground, keeping the others at bay somewhat. Then "mom" came to entice her and she just wouldn't follow. I was so fearful that she would just die right there. Eventually, after "mom" kept trying to get her to fly, I walked up to her and clapped my hands. She flew away, but couldn't get enough elevation to land anywhere and ended up behind my iris near the garage. I knew she would have more cover there. Mom continued to keep a watchful eye. By noon, my dogs were out and I was sure my pretty boy cat would find her so I again tried to get her to fly. This time she flew over the fence and under our camper which is adjacent to two and a half empty lots covered with lots of grasses and sagebrush. Mom followed and I can only hope that she is OK. I did not see mom at the birdhouse and did not hear babies in the box but by evening, Mom was back at the box with food. She continued to bring food to the box all day yesterday and today. I have not ventured out to see if there are still babies in the box or not, but that devoted mom who lost her mate nearly two weeks ago, managed to raise at least 5 babies alone. The doves have a baby also. Merle, Pearl and Burl? They fly over several times a day. They no longer come to my pond, but my neighbors must be feeding them as they land in their back yard. The baby robins are so plentiful and they are so demanding! The nestlings out front escaped the nest this week and we have several families visiting the pond. They are messy! Another new baby has arrived in our block. My next door neighbor (we share a fence with spaces you could throw a cat through) has a new puppy. It appears to be an Australian shepherd or mix. What a cutie! It is using it's outdoor voice quite a bit.

I am having a yard sale this weekend and am discovering that I have been hauling a lot of baggage around for a lot of years. It is so difficult to part with "stuff". I shall close my eyes and pitch! I shall close my eyes and pitch! I shall close my eyes and pitch! Someone slap me if I don't please!!! It seems that when I decide to collect something there is no moderation. I go whole hog! I need to stop and get rid of this stuff.

"Keep to moderation. Keep the end in view. Follow nature." ~ Lucan

No comments: