Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Crafting

My friend Sal and I have begun the "teacup chandelier"! With the help of the Mr. and his drill press, and some past experience we had trying to drill into china, our Saturday endeavors were a huge success. The bit was a carbide spade bit which was dull to begin with and proved to work much better after a sharpening. Because so much heat is generated with the slow careful pressure, it is necessary to keep the china cool. Thus the sponge and water, making for a messy process. Each time the bit broke through the china, the popping sound nearly gave us all heart attacks. With only 5 cups and saucers, there were no extras in the event of a disaster. The pictures here show a saucer and a "chocolate pot". The pot will go in the center to cover the wiring and stabilizing used for the pot. My intention is to post the remainder of the pictures this week.
Saturday was a particularly perfect day to accomplish this step of this process as we were under the worst blizzard conditions of the year. Twelve inches of the white fluffy with blizzard force winds completely socked this city in isolation. Travelers could go no direction and drifts caused many locals to become stuck.

Today, however was a different story! My good friend, Pat, had her birthday today and I met her in Greeley and we had a wonderful day. We had coffee, did a little shopping, had lunch, did a little shopping and in general had a great gab session! The weather was beautiful and I am home now awaiting another smaller storm due in tomorrow.

Watch for more posts of the chandelier progress and Happy Birthday my friend!

~"A friend is a person with whom I may be SINCERE. Before him (her) I may think aloud."...
- Ralph Waldo Emerson




1 comment:

Erica said...

Wow! I cannot wait to see the finished chandelier!