Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I have no photo to post today. This March has been very wintery and we have more or less just been huddled in where it is warm and toasty. Not much happening even. You know it is one of those cozy relaxing weeks. I am posting so you all know I am still kickin'. My sewing machines have, however gotten a little workout as I have been back to sewing some garments. I got caught up on my quilt squares for my Thimbleberries quilt club, and constructed two blouses, or tops, whatever they are officially called now. Now I am working on some pants. I cannot tell you how long it has been since I actually made something for myself and with the changes in the pattern sizing that took place in my absence from the sweat shop, along with the additional poundage added to my aging frame--it has been a challenge. Yesterday I watched a quilting program on PBS, on which a young fabric designer was featured. I was so fascinated with her approach and her knowledge of quilting at such a young age. I wish I had paid more attention as I don't know who she was. Her fabric designs all featured the same vivid colors, but the actual designs were small geometrics to very large florals. Not at all what one would expect in typical quilt construction as I know it and not what I might choose. What kept my interest was her flexibility and her enthusiasm and her ability to understand the traditional quilter. It made me realize that I have always been attracted to textiles and fibres. Perhaps that is why my daughter also has that attraction....it is in our blood. My first recollection of fibre is when my paternal grandmother taught me to crochet, even before I went to school. At first it was just a simple chain stitch, but before long I was making "granny squares". I learned to knit in the sixth grade at school when our teacher used indoor recess time (in the bitter cold days) to keep us all busy. I begged my mother to teach me to sew and when "Barbie" came out in 1958, I scrounged every scrap of fabric I could find to make her wardrobe. I continued to sew and crochet, and I learned to "tat". I took a tailoring class, at the urging of my good friend Barb. I am fascinated with ribbon embroidery and I embellish way too many things with ribbon art. I learned to do needle felting and have a stash of wool sitting someplace. Many, projects finished and unfinished were produced after I discovered cross stitch and my kitchen drawers are filled with embroidered tea towels and embroidery covers my pillowcases. When macrame was popular in the 70's I learned all of the knots and completed multiple wall hangings out of jute and twines and beads. Remember hooked rugs? Yep, I made a few of those too. I have made chenille and probably have forgotten some of the other fibers I worked with. I do love fabric and my stash is always changing. I collect some old quilt pieces as I can find them and am always finding a new way to use the old worn pieces.

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes!" ` Bette Midler

No comments: