Sunday, April 26, 2009

Gardening


The pile of debris is an accumulation of branches from the cleaning session of the lilacs, both branches and leaves and the junipers which were removed from the front of the house. Looks a little naked now compared to last year. But after the last two snow storms, we were blessed with such great moisture levels that we decided it would be ideal timing to remove the overgrown foliage. The Mr. hooked a chain around the base and with the truck, was able to pull out the bushes. There was also a dead aspen that he chopped down, but left an 8 ft piece on which we will mount a birdhouse and will probably hang a few decorative houses below that. Now we need a chipper in order to make mulch and we need to decide what to plant in the bare yard. We have ordered 25 chokecherry trees and a few cranberry viburnum.
I have been packing around a piece of rhubarb that is a plant my mom had. She had a strawberry rhubarb and always made the best pies. I got a start at least 30 years ago, maybe more, from hers and everywhere I move, I have been able to dig a little piece, plant in a temporary pot and put in the ground. I planted two small pieces last fall and they poked their little heads through the ground about 3 weeks ago. I moved them to a permanent spot last week and they are thriving. Yeah!! Searching through my collection of seeds, I discovered tulip bulbs which were sprouting and allium bulbs, so they got planted (yes I know they should go in the ground in the fall, but we didn't have time last fall) so, I have my fingers crossed!! I figured I had nothing to loose. To come....I have started a stained glass light fixture for my dining room, pictures of our bathroom project, and treasures from a trip yesterday to the flea market and antique alley I explored with my friend Sal, in Ft. Collins. What fun we had.

~~"Women are meant to be LOVED, not to be understood."---Oscar Wilde

2 comments:

Erica said...

Wow, I had no idea your rhubarb was from Grandma. How do you know when you can start eating it?

Pat said...

As soon as it grows to about 15 inches in height and is at least 1/2" in diameter. It will be only a month or so and it will be ready for 1st cutting and then every few weeks after that.