Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Winter again!!

I hope you all don't get tired of my continual posts of Spencer, but this is how I am feeling about our early 11 1/2 inches (officially) of fluffy white. Spencer has draped himself over the chair and table in a way that echoes my feelings about the weather. I'd rather be out playing!! Instead, I just might drape my body over the chair and table. I did get this mosaic birdhouse finished in time for Sal's birthday, although it will be spring before she can get it outside. Lucky for me I have a zillion and one projects in the works. Because of the heavy fog we have had and the temperatures with this storm, the entire city of Cheyenne was without power for a while today.
Rather than get to any of those projects which all require light, or electricity in some form, I cleaned drawers and threw out tons of patterns and books and ideas of projects which will never, never, materialize. Not enough time left in my life and I pity the poor souls who have to clear out the remnants of my "idea" files when I move on to another dimension. My parents had the perfect solution!!!
When they retired, they retired!! They retired everything! No more work, no more livestock, no more snow, no more stuff!
They had an auction and everything that didn't fit in the little camper-type-trailer was sold. It must have taken guts to dispense with a lifetime of stuff, not to mention memories. Dad was a thrifty ol' cus and most of what was still there, a few saddles and tack, a few old tools, a little bit of furniture and of course Mom's salt 'n pepper collection, were sold for a little bit of cash. (I hated to dust those hundreds of shakers, but it was part of who she was.) Whenever I see a few of them in a shop, I always think of her.
There are still lots of critters who are waiting in shelters to find homes or be euthanized. In checking with the rescue where Spencer was, I saw a picture of the sweetest little girl dog. I am hoping that my very good friend will be able to give her a home and in reading the posts from the rescue shelter, it breaks my heart to know that so many of them won't find homes. Spencer looks a little sad in the photo above, but I assure you he is a happy little guy who is a sweetheart and a clown and a blessing for us and he knows he is loved.

"Until ones has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unwakened".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Any word on the dog yet? Did Barb get it? Spencer is so funny, what an odd lounging position!