Friday, November 6, 2009

The early bird

Usually the early bird catches the worm, but today as is the norm for me, I was up early enough to catch this wonderful sunrise in the eastern Wyoming sky. This is the view I had from my dining room patio window. Last week we had 17 inches of snow and this week we had 70 degree weather. The leaves have mostly fallen from the trees and other signs from good ol' mother nature do indicate that it is fall and if that wasn't enough, this change back to standard time leaves us in the dark at "quittin' time". (We don't officially work out of the home, but it is still "quittin' time".


This past week has been a blurr and because I had a sinus "thing" in addition to worrying about my neighbor who had a rough week...(It is hell to get old, but the alternative isn't any better she tells me), I don't think I got much accomplished. However in reflecting back on the past few days, Spencer got a haircut, I went to quilt club, I finished one stained glass star, worked on two quilts, made a really scrumptious soup from a new recipe and today had another great day. With the onset of the holidays, the crafters begin to display their wares and the shows have begun! My good friend, Pat, came from Brighton today and with list and maps in hand, we began our journey this morning. Hillsdale, which is several miles east of here was our main destination where we were greeted with coffee and cinnamon rolls started our day at the first show. There are some really talented artisans. I hesitate to call them "crafters"as some of them are talented artists. Then traveling on country dirt roads through plowed farm lands several miles north, we came to a lovely log home where the elf living there opens her entire two level home to crafters for several days. The baked goods in the kitchen and the wonderful smells of cinnamon and spices were a treat for our senses. Her entire home was filled with every kind of creation you can imagine and she took "plastic". People were spending money, including us. Backtracking a quarter of a mile, brought us to a one room school house where lunch was being served along with more gift items. Home made soups and sandwiches and pies and hot apple cider....yummy! Driving north across more dirt roads brought us eventually to the Torrington highway and back south into Cheyenne. We then stopped at "Twigs and Teacups" for more antiques, soaps, etc. where this elf's home is also turned into a gift shop for the holidays. She offered us coffee and a scrumptious raspberry filled cake and we got a chance to say "hello" to her dog "Hazel". I have been to her shop several times and I always remember her dog's name as it was my mothers name. There aren't many Hazels anymore are there? Tomorrow morning brings another adventure for me. (EARLY) My friend Sal asked me to go to a women's wellness seminar with her. Registration begins a 7:00 a.m. Perhaps it will get me back on track after today and the cinnamon roll, the broccoli cheese soup and the raspberry filled cake.

"Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift."

1 comment:

Erica said...

ooo...those are awesome pictures! I ALWAYS think of grandpa and his "sky-blue-pink" whenever I see a sky like that.