Thursday, January 14, 2010

Biscotti anyone?

A few weeks ago, daughter,Erica sent me a recipe for Pecan Biscotti with cardamon. Cardamon? Never had occasion to use it and as it is a spice, decided to try this (new to me) flavor. However, being the very frugal gal that I am and upon discovering that it is a very pricey spice, at least out here in the wild,wild, west, I just couldn't bring myself to spend $10.00 on a little jar of something I might not like. We don't have Costco here in Wyoming, but at Christmas, we visited one with our son, Mike, and found that cardamon is priced very reasonably there and for a rather large jar too! Soooo...I tried the recipe finally today with great success! I will post the finished biscotti next time as I didn't want to wait forever to download all.
I will also post the recipe. I found that it is a very basic mixture of ingredients and after making batches with Sal before the Holidays, with so many varied recipes, some of which were crumbly, or spread too much, or just plain didn't cut very well, realize this can be adapted. Although it calls for pecans, cardamon and cinnamon, it is so basic. It cuts well, spreads on the pan nicely and didn't crumble. We made an espresso, a chocolate, and a walnut recipe and this could be used with any of those.
So much for baking. Yesterday we plunged forward with the bathroom project. With old clothes on, and the toilet and the sink and the light fixtures covered we sprayed texture on the ceiling and the walls. The Mr. brought the large air compressor from the garage into the basement and after mixing the gunk with what looks like a large version of a food emulsifier, filled the hopper and sprayed!!! I hit it with a wide flat drywall tool and wow! Does it look good. But we had that stuff everywhere. Took pictures, but until it's painted, the pictures don't look very great. Too much white I guess! This was a first for us, although we have done just about everything else in the home remodeling area....but now we know how it's done and we have the equipment and we saved a bundle by doing it ourselves.

"Experience is not what happens to you, it is what you do with what happens to you."
~Aldous Huxley

No comments: