Monday, January 25, 2010

Thinking of Spring

I have been gathering and cleaning thoroughly, recyclable containers for the sole purpose of planting seeds for the garden this year. The weather doesn't indicate that any time soon will be spring and neither does the calendar for that matter. However, my fingers are itching to do something along that line! Below is a wonderful wind chime made from recycled kitchen items. My friend Pat received it and brought it to me this fall so that I could use it for inspiration for my own. When she and I went to Ault last week to an antique shop, I found a wonderful green enameled lid. Now that I see this, I may need to find another smaller lid also. I am also getting anxious to paint some plant labels on all of the old CD's I have accumulated. If they are heated (I use the sun when it splays hot rays through a window) or you can use a hair drier or heat gun if you are careful, they cut easily with a large scissor into any shape you like when warm. I prefer to keep them in a shape similar to a seed packet. A hole or two can be drilled which will allow them to be fastened to a stake or hang from a metal plant marker. I may have posted this in one of my earlier posts, but will do it again when I do one.And speaking of windows!! The windows in this home have broken seals permitting moisture to accumulate between the panes. They are also 30 years old and not very energy efficient. The Mr. can do just about anything, but we have large windows, 4 of which are on the second level. After much discussion and contemplation, we have decided to bite the bullet and replace them all in addition to two patio doors. We are not doing the work ourselves so the bullet is a hard one to swallow. It will be nice however, to finally be able to actually see out and be able also to wash them. These for the most part are so cloudy, they obscure the view. It will enable me to look out my windows and see all of the new plants, started from seedlings, which will be blooming in profusion this summer. (Optimist that I am.)

"Flowers are love's truest language." ~ Park Benjamin

No comments: