Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers....even if your children have 4 legs. For some....those little fur babies are their children! My mother has passed on to another life, but I do remember that our Dad always made it a special day. Dad would take us to the drug store in the neighboring town and we could pick out a box of candy which we proudly presented to her, knowing very well that we would get the better portion of the box of chocolates. Even though life was a struggle for our parents, Dad loved our mother and us very much and we always knew that we were loved. There was never money for luxuries, only necessities and then not always. I remember Mother wearing a pair of shoes and seeing the soles "flopping" loose when she walked. She sacrificed a lot for us, but there were a lot of people then like us, struggling to make a good life. Mother had a very difficult childhood from what we know now, having a mother who had come to the states from Belgium and a father who had been murdered when she was a small child. The life Dad provided for her was so much better than what she had known growing up. She continued to struggle with some issues from her past I know...but Dad was her pillar of strength.
As her oldest and firstborn, I think my birth was the easiest for her, but my other 3 siblings were all difficult births, each having serious complications. She stayed strong (that is what mothers do) with the support of our Dad and we all survived with happy childhood memories. However he managed it, Dad would load us up on these special days and take "Mom" out to dinner which was a treat for all. I cherish the "good time" memories with Mom, and there were so many! Mom's come in all shapes and sizes but it is one of the most difficult and rewarding jobs of all!

"Of course I can do anything. I'm a mother." ~ unknown

1 comment:

Erica said...

That's an awesome post! I love you, mother!!