Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Craft and crab

 So when we went to Wash state for Christmas and went to Boston Harbor, we met this family with a small boy who was out for the day.  As we had informed them that we were from Wyoming earlier, we heard the mother say "Show it to those people from Wisconsin."  I turned and said that we were from one of those "W" states, but not Wisconsin.  Anyway, they had spotted a couple of crabs clinging below the pier and after a little prying, the boy's father pulled this one up for us to see.  We got a lesson on "sexing" them which I can't remember.  It was something about the number of stripes on the belly.  But it really was the first crab I had seen.  Actually our daughter had just picked up a 3 lb crab for our dinner, but unfortunately, he was wrapped in paper and I didn't see it again until he/she was ceremoniously dropped into the pot of water, screaming and kicking that night.  YUM!

I am embarking on another of many projects which I have wanted to do for a very long time. This is going to be a penny rug.  However, as with most projects, I tend to jump in without a lot of research 'cause I am so anxious to try a new craft.  After carefully stitching these black wool "pennies" onto the wool background, I  realized that I need to complete the pennies first. DUH! Did you know that since these are so large, they are derived from early American coins.  Their pennies were much larger than modern pennies. Women used these large pennies as a template to draw around the wool scraps.  Fortunately, my quilt guild has an opportunity table and someone left a box of wool squares in beautiful colors.  Yeah!

No comments: