Sunday, June 10, 2012

Critter antics

 Our kitten, Coalette loves, plastics, water, fabrics, and papers.  She loves to help me read the morning paper and it has become a real challenge to get it read in one piece.  I have been so busy that the merry-go-round I am on won't stop. (I want off!).  But this weekend we had guests and the male guest informed me that there was a paper nest of sorts beneath the guest bedroom headboard.  I was somewhat puzzled, and embarrassed to say the least.  I could not imagine what he was referring to as he seemed to think  that Coalette was the culprit.  She is not allowed in there normally, but if the door gets left open, she might sneak in.  I went to see the "nest" and this magazine and the shreds above were scattered beneath the headboard.  It took me a good while to clean it up, but we are still laughing at the little lady's mess and since she is visiting the vet this week, perhaps her nesting instincts will stop.

We were out of town last weekend and when we returned last Sunday, I checked on the babies below as they were 2 weeks old.  This snap shows them huddled together, but shortly afterward the one little guy had his claws on the edge of the nest and was standing proudly stretching his wings.  In less than 30 minutes, I witnessed him leave the nest, miss the brick ledge on our home and fall several feet to the ground.  He hopped under the pine tree near and seemed to be fine.
 The one obviously pushed him out as had the nest to himself, settled down for the night and was gone when I checked on Monday morning.  Two weeks from hatching and they were on their own...sort of.  Are the fledglings ever on their own?  I wondered about mine, but eventually, they do grow up.
We have a horrible wildfire burning south of us about 50 miles..more to follow.

No comments: