Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Windy Wyoming

 This blog title doesn't really represent these blog photos today, but my heavens to mergatroid, has it been windy!!!  So windy that I haven't really been able to go out and work to get my garden stuff in.  And I just looked at the thermometer and it is 33 degrees outside.  It wasn't supposed to get this cold and I didn't cover anything.  Having the cows back in the pasture though does give me some pleasure in that it reminds me of the stock from which I came.  Good ol' beef and farming country.  Those cold mornings when we went out to feed the calves from a bucket with a nipple attached and getting milk splashed over us wasn't really fun, but it surely taught us how we earned our beef on the table.  I love baby calves and their beautiful eyes. Hard to look into those sweet faces and long lashes and know they would be on the table come winter.  We have taken the hummer feeders down and put up the bird feeders above, so you can see how close these cattle are and it warms my soul to see and hear them.
 Some of the things I collect are mashers and rolling pins, but not just any mashers and rolling pins.  The ones I collect "speak" to me. These kitchen tools have been replaced by more modern appliances, but I know they will go by the wayside and again, it reminds me of my childhood.  I do remember watching my grandmother use a masher similar to the ones above. And a butter paddle? Although used in a simpler era, and becoming more scarce all of the time, these were essential in any pioneer kitchen. I have a food processor and even though it makes a wonderful scratch pie crust, I still like to use a rolling pin and I have many.  I remember using my "little" rolling pin and rolling crust with grandma.  She would give me the leftover pieces and I could sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on my carefully rolled pastry dough and bake it in her oven.  These little pins are really getting difficult to locate and I just received my latest pin treasure this week from my dear friend.  It is the green handled one on the far right and is in pristine condition.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
 These are some of the other pins from days gone by and I have taken a couple of them and used them for apron Hooks....will post later. Snow is on the mountains and our larder is mostly stocked so it is time for pies right?  My mom wasn't the greatest cook although she was good at opening cans and jars, but she made great pie crusts. I have tried dozens of so-called perfect pie crusts, and I have even resorted to buying frozen crusts, but I am still searching for a crust that would marvel my mother's.  And her warm ginger bread with cream on it...does anyone even make gingerbread?  I don't mean cookies.  I mean real dark brown gingerbread in a 9 X 13 cake pan. I don't recall ever making it.  But my mom could bake and maybe that is why unlike Rachel Ray, I would much more prefer to bake than cook. With winter around the corner, we need to store up some fat don't we?  My doctor would not agree I am sure, but that's what we did with the cattle...fatten 'em up for slaughter....so If the wind doesn't blow 100 mph today, I won't bake, I will go out and work off a few calories.  Then I shall bake.

No comments: