Sunday, January 12, 2014

Another Score!

 I have a friend with whom I try to have lunch once a week. She has some health issues, but don't we all. She is one of those people that allows me to be myself, and she understands that I can be goofy sometimes.  So when we were there last week, this is the machine that just screamed "take me home please!".  Can you have too many sewing machines?  And what becomes of these treasures when you go to your happy hunting grounds?  Luckily I have a daughter who sews and will probably appreciate these as goofily (that's not a real word) as I do.  This makes #6 and really they all have a different purpose.  I have a serger, for serging.  I have a featherweight for traveling light to classes.  I have a heavy duty straight stitch for quilting, leatherwork etc.  I have a new machine that also embroiders for embroidering and zig zagging.  I have a Singer for back-up and now I have a treadle for when the electricity goes out?  Maybe.  It is a 1917 White Rotary.  But although the actual machines are pretty readily available, the cabinets are not. 
 This is a little bit of the detail of gold leafing, however, from the pic above, you can see that the machine has lost most of this leafing.  It is filthy and I think it was owned by only one family from the information I received.  So I got on line and found some information about cleaning it and the Mr. was able to download a manual as these are available also.  The belt needs to be put on and perhaps replaced.  Did you know they are leather?  I did not.  Did you know that they still manufacture these treadle machines?  The Amish still use them.
The cabinet most intrigued me.  In my mind, it a work of art.  Although the wood is very dry, the majority of the veneer is still intact and even some of the detailed relief--and some of it is missing, mainly the carved branches on the drawers and part of the "T" in White, it is in amazing condition.
It is threaded, still has its threaded bobbin and is waiting for a further cleaning and oiling.  I am anxious to see if I can master the treadle as I have never done that, but I learned to drive on a stick shift automobile so I am willing to try this. 

The real thrill for me was that it cost $75.00.  I think that was a steal!

No comments: