Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"Junk"

 If you know a lot about me, you will understand my attraction to things that are old, can be re-purposed or just plain remind me of things from my past.  This little ol' child's stroller for her dolly or maybe a playful kitten, with the wheels long gone and the original paint missing is my latest treasure.  What makes some of these things special to me is that they were given to me by dear friends who also like "junk", and know that I will find a new home for them.  Yesterday, I dropped by my lunch buddy's home and saw this little gem sitting outside in the snow.  It just screamed "take me home".  It was just the perfect piece of junk to be outside because of its durability.  She graciously offered it to me and I was thrilled. (doesn't take much to make me happy?)
 I don't remember if my sisters and I had a similar piece when we were little, but it seems familiar for some reason.  I can just see it with blue paint and a few decals on it can't you?  I cleaned it a little and for now it sits in my dining room with a plant--also a gift from a friend's mother..and I am debating about trying to recreate the "look" it had when being pushed by a little girl.  However, for me I have a little bit of history to accompany it.  I was told that it was found in an old mine in Nevada and that makes it a bit more important to me.  Thank you Ginger!

Coalette is napping on the small secretary a few days earlier, and resting her chin on the little blue birds, dreaming of spring when she can actually get outside.  The secretary is also a very special piece.  My mother-in-law, rest her soul, gave this to me nearly 50 years ago.  It was in a garage when they moved into a house and had been in a fire.  Unfortunately, back then, I did not realize that old furniture should not necessarily be refinished.  This piece is entirely "pegged" together and I put at least 12 coats of hand-rubbed finish on it in the early 70's.
The gals and I are still trying to come up with a date for our retreat and so far, nothing definite.  But my dear friend has a piece that intrigues me and I may have another project if we can ever set a date.

"He who makes room in his heart for others, will himself find accommodation everywhere."
~ Anonymous

No comments: