Thursday, March 2, 2017

A new case....

 So I have been watching a lot of murder mysteries...old ones that I probably saw but have forgotten, but this is not a mystery case.  I do love them and have begun to read about Miss
Fisher's murder mysteries, since I can not longer see them on the telly.  Why oh why, can't we just pick the channels we would like to view?  With all of the other advances in technology, this should be a given.  In fact, I love the fact that I can access these books on my I pad from the library now.  That is technology I like, and I can even check out magazines and keep them forever so I do not have to change my address on subscriptions as we seem to move way too often.
   I have gotten away from my intended post.  I have a featherweight Singer sewing machine that I truly love and as old as these machines are, they can be refurbished and sew like little trucks.  As the name implies, they are lightweight and perfect to haul to classes or guilds or wherever you need a little truck of a machine.  Mine is about 70 years old and young at that.  However, the cases which are wood and covered with a dark sturdy fabric, don't always wear as well with age.
 I discovered that the fabric could be removed and a wonderfully constructed wooden case under it could be refinished.  It took me a week to get the fabric off as it was glued very well and left a very unsightly picture.  I was not prepared for all of the work, but with muscle, sharp razor, and lots of sanding, I have a beautiful case.  Mine was in great shape (no loose boards or missing hardware) The top picture shows inside lid, and then the inside bottom. Faintly stamped the bottom of the dovetailed case was "Made in Canada".  The construction is amazing.
I decided on a darker stain and my intention is to paint something on the case, hopefully in the next week or two, but not sure exactly what I will do. 

"May you discover your own special abilities and contribute them toward a better world." ~ Charlene Costanzo

No comments: