Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Figgy pudding?

 When checking clips today, I ran across the above picture of Erica's fig tree in her back yard.  I took this snap when we were still staying with them and she actually had half dozen or so figs on it which she plucked and I ate for some of my lunches.  There were probably not enough to make a figgy pudding and I am not sure what a figgy pudding is, but I used to make those old fashioned fruit cakes each Christmas season and always used dried figs.  Now I know most people don't like fruit cakes and in fact make fun of them, but they are extremely expensive because they take a pound of everything and a dozen eggs and a bowl of huge proportions. (I happen to like them but don't send me any.) . I don't think I had ever seen a fig tree, but this one needs to be moved according to Erica and probably pruned.  It is extremely leggy and most of the leaves are at the end of these weighted branches.
 My sewing room is finished and I will probably continue to tweak it until everything is in the right place.  Being smaller than my previous room, it is a bit crowded and I have had to downsize to some degree, but so far it works and today the Mr. got my television hooked up.  We now have xfinity and got a ROKU box so I stream everything from the internet and our box in the living room.  Really I don't understand it all, but it works and that's all I need to know, right? 
This is what is left of an old fir tree stump in the back yard.  There are two stumps in the back yard which were left when large trees were cut down.  They are mostly rotten and we spent a little while today after the rain quit, trying to chop away some more of this stump.  These trees here in these yards are so large and when the homes are built in a wooded area, some of the trees are left to continue to grow for years.  They smell wonderful and provide so much shade and we feel as if we are living in a forest, and I guess we are.  However, rather than shovel snow, we find that we are cleaning up needles and pine cones.

On another note, I have completed a few more of the blue and white squares and have my wedding ring quilt on another machine and am slowly quilting it.  I hope to get some of these UFO's finished by the first of the year and can start some new projects then when I plan to check with a few of the quilting contacts I have made.  We are still sorting things and trying to dispose of those things for which we have no room.  We have made several trips to Goodwill and to Habitat for Humanity's Restore and have more to take.  Hopefully by the first of the year, we will be finished except for a few projects that we need to do in the house. 

No comments: