Thursday, June 18, 2020

Quiet on the home front

 I have again had a lapse of posts as things have been very quiet.  I know there has been a lot on the news about the protests, but we are  staying home, staying busy here and our neighborhood carries on as usual.  Very quiet is our normal.  My backyard is my sanctuary and I have been watching a pair of wrens working to build a nest in the brown birdhouse above. They have worked on again off again, gathering moss and have built the mossy nest up to the opening.  I am confused about their activity as they will work together for a while in the afternoon and then perhaps in the evening but I will not see them for hours then.  They first were checking the purple house, in and out of both for a couple of days before choosing the lower one. 

 In another corner of the yard, where I have placed 3 lawn chairs is where I have been retreating to read.  Today was a beautiful sunny day and that area is totally shaded by the huge fir trees.  Actually, the canopy of branches does not allow the sun to shine through except for the blue patches of sky through the needles.  I sat and listened to so many birds.  We have identified several...the Juncos, finches, robins, woodpeckers and wrens and we do have crows.  I know that we have a few hummers, but there are so many blooms which they prefer that I haven't put out a feeder.  The squirrels and bunnies are plentiful this year and people say it is a bumper crop for them.  It is so much fun to watch the young squirrels play and chase each other.  I also keep watch for another possum.  Apparently they have been pretty scarce, but used to be quite a nuisance.

Below the Mr. is decked out to spray the moss.  He has nearly replanted all of the bare spots in our yard with grass, but there is some moss upon which he has declared war.  
In my little reading area, there is a carpet of moss which I really don't mind and it is green and doesn't need to be mowed.  I haven't seen a deer this week, but they too are pretty abundant.  

We have ordered new windows and they will be installed in about 4 weeks.  I haven't bothered to try to clean these as they are original to the house and are in poor condition. That should just about be the last upgrade for the house, and then we can do a little bit of work on the yard as it doesn't need much. 

Have a safe weekend and Happy Father's Day.

No comments: