Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Walk About

 My neighbor and I walk nearly every morning.  She has lived here quite a while although she is from New Orleans.  Most days we take a different route and we are so lucky to be able to do that.  Yesterday we walked near Long Lake and the smoke from all of the forest fires left a pretty picture with the sunrise over the lake.  However, our state as well as the nation is suffering with these fires and so many evacuations are in order.  We have lost entire small towns almost.  

I feel like a kindergartener as I find so many things unfamiliar to me.  In the small island across the drive from me stands a very large conifer.  It is a Norwegian tree of sorts and this is a green cone.  They grow upright and with the sap glistening in the sunlight, remind me of ornaments on a tree.  I am told that when it matures the individual petal-like pieces come off the cone and are about 2" wide.  I will get some dried ones to post later.  I am fascinated by this tree.  We had a breeze yesterday and the yard, driveway, deck and streets are covered with fir cones.  As soon as the smoke diminishes, I will be raking.  The Mr. did get the blower and used it on the back deck and driveway.

This is a front yard snap of one we passed on our walk yesterday.  I want it!!! I have always wanted to do something like this.  I think it is adorable. For my girlfriends who spent years crafting with me for days at a time, I did not have any glass totems or yard art to bring with me, but my master gardener friend here knew I wanted to do a piece or two and brought me 6 cardboard boxes.  Yes...6 boxes.  Girls, remember when we scrounged the Goodwill, the flea markets and the yard sales?  It is overwhelming to say the least and I will have to get busy and use some if it.  I miss you guys.  While some of you are experiencing the cold weather snap, it is currently 90 degrees here.  Still we have had no rain.  I was told by some that I would have moss growing on my back.  I am just slathering sun screen and sitting in front of the fan.  We are expected to have a cool down though I think soon.



No comments: