Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Merle & Pearl in the Garden

Every morning the two doves come to the pond in my garden to drink. They first land on the fence to observe the yard to determine if my "4 legged critters" are out and about. If all is clear, one at a time, they fly down to the edge of the pond and if there is ice on the pond, they carefully walk across to get a drink. I have decided that these two are Merle and Pearl. I know that more than a few doves can be a messy flock in the yard, but all winter we have had only the one pair and I hope they continue the ritual for a long time. Day before yesterday a male robin took advantage of the melt to have a bath. Standing on a river rock, he was nearly submerged. All that was visible was the top of his back and his head. Splashing water in every direction, he was certainly getting a bath deluxe. Most of the time they get their bodies in up to their bellies, but this red breast was getting everything wet!!

We had snow again yesterday and the sun even came out for a while. I ventured into the garden long enough to see what "green" things were waking up from this long winter and noticed lots of poppies, and quite a few perennials greening up. Things are still very much a muddy mess, but hopefully (cross your fingers), we have seen the worst of winter.

This is the first picture of the glazed fish tiles. Not being a very good photographer, the picture doesn't do them justice, but will try to get another to post. I still have half a dozen tiles to fire to bisque and glaze to replace the broken and warped ones. All of this has been a learning process for me. However, I am quite please with the outcome so far.

The blueberries that we bought about a month ago and that the dog stripped of leaves when she was sick, have recovered and are doing great. I have to try to keep them alive until I can get them into the garden. If Mother Nature would but give me a few warm days! My cabin fever is getting the best of me and I know in my heart I am supposed to be out in that darned yard at least 8 months of the year!!! It is my therapy. Where are the flowers? (Don't they have a vaccination for that cabin fever?)

"Flowers are words which even a babe may understand."--Bishop Coxe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow...the tiles look great!