Sunday, May 3, 2009

crafting/hobbies

As promised, lamp in progress! I have always been fascinated with designs by Frank Lloyd Wright. The arts & crafts movement came along when people were seeking a more natural, simple quest for furniture, architecture and design, and less of the ornateness and frills of the previous design era. Tiffany designs are much more floral and less geometric and of the lamps I have completed in the past, most have been influenced by the Tiffany style. The "prairie lamp" style was my inspiration for this design and by fashioning this myself, I was able to get the exact colors I wanted. The first picture shows the process of fitting the pieces which have been cut and ground to fit inside the design exactly so that both long sides are the same size. The second picture shows the pieces foiled and soldered. After all four sides are completed, they will be soldered together and reinforced with wire. The brown glass was the most difficult piece of glass to cut. It was horrible and thank goodness the pieces are small. It was a piece from my "stash", which I had not previously cut and it shattered, wouldn't break on the scored lines and was just plain ugly to work with. More to follow.

No comments: