Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fathers

Happy Father's Day to all of you out there who are fathers. The men in my family, and there aren't many now..my brother, his two sons, my sister's sons, my son are wonderful fathers because of one man... my Dad. His values and the example he set for us as a parent were such a great influence on both, my brother and we three girls. I especially remember that he was very consistent with his rules, but he was a gentle man. He always read the "Sunday funnies" to us, long before we could read. He taught math in the card games we played. He made our breakfast while letting our mom sleep. He wasn't above changing a diaper or washing a dish. I could go on and on, but on this day, remember your father if you are lucky to still have him with you.
I have two new projects which are old projects to start on. The milk can above was a gift from my Dad. As you can see, it has many coats of paint on it and it is about to get another. Thanks to the Mr. (who is a very wonderful father to our offspring), I have discovered another power tool. I had a man, my dentist in fact, tell me that a woman with a power tool is a scary thing. I was using a wire brush to loosen old paint when the Mr. asked me if I would like to use an electric one. Whaaat? A power wire brush. Yes!!!! Armed with safety glasses I had the loose paint off in the wink of an eye. However, the flying paint can sting a little, so be prepared if the skin is exposed. Now to tackle the stove which was a gift from another Father, and a good friend. It will be used to display plants on my patio so both projects will be followed here on this blog.














I scored some good garage sale stuff yesterday and today the Mr. and I went after lunch and I got some more good stuff. I have always considered this a way of recycling and find it a way to meet great people. One rule I have though is not to buy something I simply cannot use or have a place for. I got free curtain rods for a window in a bedroom, an ironing board for the craft room, an end table that matches my new coffee table, a rack for towels to put beside my new utility sink, which is in operation now and numerous other small items...5 cans of Krylon clear acrylic spray, brand new for $1.00@ (I go through that stuff like crazy).
E-mailed an update to Spencer's previous mom and noted that she has taken a poor soul who needs some surgery and has found homes for more of the dogs. "The Healing Journey Rescue" is the name of her rescue and thank goodness for her and the wonderful people she works with.

"My father didn't tell me how to live: he lived, and let me watch him do it." ~ Clarence Kelland

No comments: