Monday, June 8, 2009

Julie & Julia & Spencer Blue Too


Couldn't resist taking a picture of Spencer Blue..he is such a sweetie! I also need to make a correction about him. For whatever reason, when his "Mom" told me about him and some of the other dogs she has been involved in with her experiences, I remembered her telling me about more than one rescue involving near euthanasia. I misunderstood about Spencer and he was not one of those cases. I do remember that she said his breeder was a responsible person, so he was just one of those pups who didn't find a good home right away. If any of you are seeking a pet, please consider these animals.
When I visited my daughter, Erica and her husband a couple of years ago, she gave me Julie Powell's book "Julie & Julia" to read. Now, I am not a reader. Actually I am a very good reader, but I just don't take time to read. Anyway, I know there is a movie in the works, based on this book and I needed something to read on the tread mill, so I decided to start this so that I can get it back to her. Really, it is a great book!! My thought was that it was mostly a journal of Julie's attempt to make all 524 recipes in 365 days from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". I was totally off base. Erica is a terrific cook...both of my children are. I have tasted creme brulee that my son Michael made....yummmmy, which I have NEVER made. I have tasted crusted goat cheese, hot from the oven that Erica served..(It was goat cheese wasn't it Erica?) But in this book, Julie does what I might have done...made a few substitutions for lack of finding the correct ingredients. Her tale of trying to find a marrow bone, from which the marrow must be extracted is hilarious. (The steak with the reduced marrow sauce sounded really good. (After the puking session that is.) I still have a lot of treadmill hours before the book is finished, but I am really anxious for the movie!!
We made a trip over the snowies on Saturday to retrieve the Mr.'s old Toyota Landcruiser and as you can see, there is a lot of white fluffy up there. I am about to embark on a new quilting project. I took a class last fall and made a quilt top which has been sitting on a shelf, waiting to be finished. The quilt shop had a big sale this last Sat which I didn't get to attend, but I did get some fabric today for the backing which was still on sale. A walking foot has been downstairs for several months just tempting me to try on a project such as this so I got the 3 layers pinned and I will read instructions (usually I don't) and see if I can master that foot. I don't have the passion for cooking that Julia, and Julie, and Erica and Michael have, but I can make a great batch of chocolate chip cookies. To curl up under a warm hand-made quilt and a warm puppy on a rainy spring day and a chocolate chip cookie in each hand....very comforting indeed.














"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

1 comment:

erica said...

I am so glad you like that book! And yes, it was goat cheese. Spencer is adorable!!