Wednesday, December 18, 2013

On the 10th day of Christmas

Every cat that has been a member of my home has slept under my trees.  These three little woodland trees sport small antique ornaments as well as rustic and western themed ornaments and sits this year in my dining room area. Coalette has been pretty good about not playing with the shiny balls and has not shone and interest in consuming the icicles on the big tree.  In the past we have had to "pull" shiny icicles from the depths of the innards of felines who thought it was fancy "grass".  None were harmed in those efforts by the way. 

On the 10th day of Christmas, I drove into Rawlins to lunch and celebrate and exchange gifts with my dear friend of over 40 years.  We have done this every year, except the few years she was in another state and I was in another town.  What is sad, is that now we have a difficult time trying to buy that special gift for that special friend- The friend, who sat with you with sick kids, who helped push you out of snow drifts, the friend who insisted you could do anything, the friend who shared good times and bad. Now we really don't need anything, don't want anything, have everything, and don't want to dust anything new.  My friend bought me a spoon rest 2 years ago last summer which matched my cookie jar and replaced the one I broke. She insisted I take it home, put it up and wrap it to open Christmas.  I did and promptly broke it. This past summer we were at a market and I was directed to a double spoon rest...one for two spoons.  I will admit that it is gaudy and doesn't go with much else in my kitchen, but it appealed to me and although she didn't care for it at all, she bought it for me and I brought it home yesterday and hopefully I won't break it!  It is "special" now!

We also had a wonderful lunch and reminisced about our "early" days, one of which we attempted to make divinity for Christmas.  I had an aunt who made delicious divinity and when I was in school, she even showed my how to make it.  Years ago we tried that.....what a failure that was and to this day I don't make divinity.  I make yummy sugar cookies, old fashioned fudge, spritz and numerous other sweets, but not divinity.  But I have a great memory with my friend and divinity. 

"Hold a true friend with both your hands" ~ Nigerian Proverb


No comments: