Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Wheat weaving

 A couple of weeks ago, I took a wheat weaving class locally and above is a lover's not and below is St. Bridget's Cross.  I actually forgot the story about the cross and there were several versions, but in the example above, we actually learned this braiding pattern as well as another similar one.  Note that below, some of the beards on the wheat are black.  We were told that these were actually grown specifically for weaving and they are really black.  I should have thought to take my camera to document the process, but the wheat had to be soaked for several hours prior to weaving and we had to keep it wet.  Needless to say, we had "puddles of water" all over the table!
I so enjoyed the weaving and my mind was spinning, trying to imagine what other natural plantings could be used...lavender perhaps?  I grow lots of lavender.  What about other herbs?  Hmmm.......

No comments: