Friday, January 23, 2015

Steamboat

 Not a floating means of transportation, the name refers to a famous rodeo bucking horse.  It is also a symbol for Wyoming in a sense.  It is on our license plates as well as numerous other things.  Tourists to our state take home a myriad of souvenirs which ol' Steamboat adorns.  A batik fabric was printed this past year in several color waves on which Steamboat becomes the star.  Being pretty expensive at $15.00 to $20.00 a yard depending on where it can be purchased, I only got 3 half-yard pieces this fall and this is what I made with one of the fabrics.  I was able to get 6 placemats by "fussy Cutting" the horse and rider which left much waste.  (I won't throw away the leftover, but will find a use for it.) One other piece was the 4 square apron I posted earlier.
Our quilt group is working on a raffle quilt which will feature the Wyoming square as well as the image above in an alternate square. Hopefully this quilt will generate a lot of money.  The fabric is available at quilt shops, but has to be ordered in advance for the most part for another printing this spring.  It is a limited print and I feel privileged that I was able to get a few small pieces for myself.

No comments: