Thursday, August 13, 2015

No time to die


Even though this may look a little like a voodoo doll or something similar and I did put "die" in my title, I read a quote that pretty much sums up how I feel.  "God put me on this earth to sew and finish things, I am so far behind that I will never die."  I expect to have a good many more birthdays and speaking of which....Happy Birthday to my little brother on the 14th.

I have been dying to make this garden angel!  I love primitive things and had acquired 4 of these architectural pieces and was going to make a birdhouse.  However, I saw a garden angel similar to this a while back and could not get it out of my head.  I also had saved some pieces from an old chair and while scrounging in my boxes of "funky junk"....her head appeared!  Wings from trim scraps finished her except for her halo.  (have to dig some more)

Scraps of wood, metal, and fabric of course, don't always get tossed.  They may have a chance at a second life (and not die) in my world. (there is no time)  So along that line, I am privileged to have been asked to teach a paper-piecing class tomorrow at our 2nd annual quilt retreat in Encampment.  I love paper piecing, but it is not for everyone.  One quilter says it is like ballroom dancing.  You have to move backward, in high heels while watching your feet in a mirror.  In other words, you are sewing in reverse, (something uncomfortable), and stopping to look and see if it is right.  But actually, it gives such precise points and angles, that once mastered, the outcome is reward and it gives scraps of fabric another life.

"Quilting gives me someplace to go when I have to stay where I am."

No comments: