Friday, August 28, 2015

Summer fun


The Mr. and I have always taken some "Marvelous Adventures" here in Wyoming.  While I quilted on Monday with my pals, he and a friend loaded up the gold panning equipment into the ol' Land Cruiser and headed south for riches unknown.  His ultimate goal I believe (as we are still waiting for the riches) was to locate this old site he had read about and knew the approximate location.  He is a mad man when it comes to maps, and technology now allows him to "google" these locations with a touch of the finger on the keyboard.
There are a few remnants remaining at this site, including the old truck with the tree growing from the midsection as well as an old stove.  There are many of these old sites and some very interesting history attached to them.  Much has been written in various articles and there is still a lot of Marvelous Adventures to take. By the way, I did not see any gold nuggets, although I know he did reach the stream with shovel and pan.

So while I was at the library quilting, a wonderfully talented lady came in with this item and strolled toward me.  I immediately got up and was drawn to this primitive "make do".  A make do is something made to serve a purpose and is created with what you have.  You "make do" with whatever is at hand.
I have always loved primitives and perhaps that is because I grew up in an era where we always had to make do.  It was a way of life for us and a lot of others.  This gal had been at my home only once and realized it was something I would like.  I did not know when she approached our group that she had actually meant it for me.

If you look closely, the bottom pedestal is a glass candlestick, painted to look like rusty metal. The petals are felt and the pincushion is rug hooked.  (I remember my grandmother hooking a rug). Of course, the black crow is always used in primitive decorating.  So I love this "make do".  Thank you Kathy.

"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves." ~ Sir James Barrie

No comments: