Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fire in the hole (kiln)

Below are two of the tiles I fashioned from my lump of clay with my sophisticated tools--a rolling pin, some clay tools that Erica left with me and my limited knowledge.  These are for my backsplash in the bathroom.  More pictures to follow.  These first two are in a very wet stage.


The tiles below are the tiles as they are ready to go to the firing stage.  Note that they have lightened considerably after about 10 days.  This is due to the loss of moisture.  The copper sink has fish engraved around the perimeter so I decided to dry to mimic the fish in the tiles.  The larger is a previous post but the smaller fish are imprints from a copper gelatin mold.  



My kiln hasn't been fired in a while so I loaded my tiles and turned all of the switches on  and after two hours went out to kick up the heat and discovered that it had shut off at some time.  (Evidently in my haste, I didn't pay attention to the back-up timer in case the kiln setter failed).  The timer is usually set for several hours but as with a lot of other body parts, my eyes seem to be playing games with me as I age.  Did I set it for one hour rather than 7?  Probably.  So I have started it again.  Hard to believe that tomorrow is the first day of spring and that Sunday is Easter...hope the bunny wears rubber boots.  It is a soggy mess around here!!  
Happy Easter!!!  

No comments: