Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Flea market find

My good buddy Bonzerelli, who spent last weekend with me helped me lug this great find home! The Mr. had given me money for Christmas (after 45 years, he knows what I like best), so I didn't feel too guilt ridden for spending a little and it made my spree so much fun! It is a cabinet from the 30's which would have been in a kitchen along with a hoosier I suppose, as it has two small drawers and 3 metal-lined bins for storing staples like flour and sugar. Except for a small repair on one leg, lack of original handles and a lousy paint job it is in relatively good condition. The original wooden wheels are very much in tack and roll well. I removed the
mismatched nobs and painted it the color of my
dining room (will post later) as I am having 2nd
thoughts about the color. As I was sanding it, I could see under the white, a cream and original green color, which I am thinking it really should be. Green, that is. It has such great storage and with the wheels, it can be rolled out into the middle of the kitchen for additional counter space. My first thought was to use it as a sort of island, but there is not enough room to leave it out on a permanent basis. Input?

On Thursday, after our friends left on Sunday, my other very good friend of 38 years, came and spent until Saturday evening with me. We had 3 glorious days of chick fun! The Mr. had come down with the epizudic of some kind, (a cold which I have now gotten) and he was content to stay home and rest, so we shopped and ate until we dropped. Places I hadn't gotten to explore yet, and always good eats, which are priorities kept us busy all three days! There are about 4 really good friends I treasure and everyone should be so lucky! This particular gal has seen me through a lot and I remember holding her hand when her youngest was sick a time or too. (That was in the early 70's). I have made reference to two of those good friends here, and spoke on the phone tonight to another who lives here and is close enough to call when I need a "friend fix". The other is in Colorado, but close enough to get to in a short car ride. She has been dealing with an aging parent, and I spoke to her recently also. There are others also whom I communicate with and feel I could call, for support although I don't see them as often. If you have a good friend, you have a treasure indeed.

"However rare true love is, true friendship is rarer."~La Rochefoucauld

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great find!

Anonymous said...

I think I liked it better white; but how cool is it any color?!