Friday, January 16, 2009

Promises

I now have a Face book page and honestly, I am not sure why. Because I can, maybe. I spent a little time searching for people from my past I might find, but reality set in when I realized my old friends (those who are still living) might not be interested in such things and are probably more concerned with their social security checks arriving safely. I may not have a choice in getting old, but I certainly don't have to mature. The cabinet now has a coat of paint. Input please!

Today, many thoughts crossed my ever shrinking brain. First of all, my good friend, Pat, from Colorado lost her mother this week. I mentioned in my last blog that she was ailing and unfortunately she passed away on Sunday. A tough German woman, at the age of 93 she broke her hip and actually had a replacement which in itself is remarkable. However, she developed an infection in the incision. After being hospitalized for that, apparently her poor heart just wasn't strong enough. I thank her for her daughter who is a very special friend of mine.

Secondly, I had a phone call from my daughter, Erica, and my goodness, we must have chatted for an hour or more. Sunny days here make me anxious for spring and all that warm weather brings to the garden. Erica was ordering seed catalogs and I really need to work on this yard in the way of plantings, but I have a blank canvas so with input from my garden guru buddy and my daughter, I will arm myself with hoes and shovels and go forth to battle. I need catalogs!!!

This next Tuesday we will officially have a new president! It will be a tough job for him, for anyone, considering the state of our nation. We all hear the promises our politicians make and determine our votes based on those promises for the most part. But years of experience have proven to me that promises made by politicians are made to be broken as well as promises of anyone. Intentions are sincere mostly, when a promise is made but in reality, circumstances determine whether or not promises can be kept. Congress is a large obstacle to overcome in order for a president to be able to keep a promise. We will see. One very important lesson that I learned from my father (another to add from the previous posts) is that you DON'T make a promise that you can't keep. This he stressed to me many, many, times. So he rarely made a promise of any kind to anyone. "You are as good as your word!" He would tell that to me constantly. I don't put a lot of stock in promises; too many to me have been broken, as few people have the kind of ethics my father possessed. As we have been made aware recently, many politicians today are lacking in ethics.

Kudos to the pilot who saved so many lives! We are not eating enough geese I guess. They are huge birds and they seem to be everywhere. How about a Valentine Day goose, an Easter Goose, etc? I am sure enjoying my new quilting machine! My craft room looks like a sweat shop. I have a Simplicity serger, a Singer sewing machine and now this wonderful Janome pro. I will post about it next time. I PROMISE!

"We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.~
~ Will Rogers

No comments: