Monday, August 24, 2009

Quilting madness

For over a year now, I have had in mind to start this red and white quilt. The block is "glorious nine patch" from a Fons & Porter pattern and as you can see, it stars out as a simple 9 patch, but after it is trimmed to the template, becomes much more complex. Between the blocks will be sewn an oval of small red print on a white background. Yes, yes, yes, I do have others in progress, but my mind works much faster than my hands (and my mouth). I had an employer tell me that one time. She said "Pat, your mind works too fast for your mouth...you cannot catch up." I always thought my mouth worked pretty fast, but evidently not. The other quilt that I am working on is in the process of hand applique, which I can take with me, in the car when I am traveling, at home when the squawk box is on or when I am camping. It is below and it will take me eons to get it ready for assembly. Soooo...while my mouth and hands are trying to catch up with my brain, I can keep my hands busy with the red and white quilt and my mouth needs no help staying busy. (The Mr. may testify to that.) My furkids keep me company while I am creating and are always in the way as is evident in the photo.














I posted this quilt ages ago when I started it, and slowly, I am getting the fused pattern pieces appliqued with a buttonhole stitch. Depending on the winter we have, I may get them done by spring.














Today, the Mr. got our first new window installed in the kitchen. All of our windows need to be replaced and we decided to save money and do them ourselves!! Ha, Ha! Just one of the many do-it-yourself projects we have embarked upon and except for trimming it up, it is beautiful. I can actually see out of the window!! (of course, we picked the easiest one to do first). This evening we had a beautiful rain and yesterday I spent the day with two of my good friends, Bonnie and Sal and we toured the Parade of Homes, had lunch and hit a couple of flea markets! What a great day! Also blessed with good neighbors, this evening I scored a couple of zucchini and planted some starts of Virginia Creeper, a gift from my dear neighbor next door. Thanks neighbor!

"The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away." ~ David Viscott

2 comments:

erica said...

Furkids - that's funny. That quilt is cool...is it applique?

Pat said...

The red and white one is not..it will be pieced. The other one is.