Sunday, August 30, 2009

Gardening

What was last year a thistle patch among some overgrown junipers is finally starting to shape up as a flower garden thanks to mother nature's grace and some dear friends. My neighbor was kind enough to give me starts of several perennials and a couple of friends shared some of their bounty and I am totally pleased with the first year's accomplishments. I have also begun to terrace part of a very steep hillside and have planted some snow on the mountain which will, I hope, spread like wildfire to help hold the soil in place. After digging out around the pine trees, the scalloped stones were put to use in this effort.


The retaining wall is quite tall and behind it I have planted Virginia creeper, hoping that it will climb up over and cover it.

I spent part of this weekend helping my friend Sal re-do a black modern TV stand which was a yard sale purchase. She has such a cute little cottage and we applied crackle medium last evening and today sponged a beautiful light chocolate over it. I should have taken pictures as it appears that our efforts to convert it are going to be a success. We hope to finish tomorrow and I will post a picture.

One of my furkids gave me a few hours of worry this weekend. Hojo, the cat who has become a house kitty, much to his chagrin, escaped on Friday evening and the Mr. chased after him, but he was way too fast and it was dark. He didn't come for breakfast yesterday morn and I called all day long for him. My imagination just ran wild with the possible fate that he may have encountered. This neighborhood is entirely different from any he has know in his 12 years with us. I woke up today and he leisurely strolled up the stairs to greet me. The Mr. said he came in with the dogs after they went out at about 11 pm last night. (He was mighty hungry too I guess!).


This is a birdhouse I am putting a mosaic finish on. I now have it finished, except for grout and will post it then, and I hope to put it in my garden next spring. I am an embellisher. I love to embellish stuff which is evident in some of my needlework. It is difficult to know when to stop, but most of my birdhouses are adorned with cast off hinges, door knobs etc and each is completed with a key to the front door so I am anxious to get to that point on this abode.



















"Teach us delight in simple things." ~ Rudyard Kipling

No comments: