Thursday, July 14, 2011

Rhubarb art

Having my mother's rhubarb plant, which I have moved from place to place, reminds me of her pies. I love, love, love rhubarb in cobblers, crisps and pies. Whether it stands alone, or shares space with strawberries or pineapple or something else in these yummy dishes, I always think of her. So when I had to harvest another batch..(it produces multiple crops all summer) and couldn't convince a friend that she needed some, I washed it and put it in the fridge to cut and freeze the next day. Imagine my surprise when this artistic piece fell out of the bag. It was among several others that, like celery, prefer to be curly after chilled and cut! So perhaps my mom is working her artful spirits into the rhubarb which I still call hers.A view from the dining room into the kitchen gives a better idea of what the finished renovation will behold. Drywall will be installed and then the counter top will be cut for this area. Our home is not in a high-end area, although all of the homes here were custom built, so due to the resale aspect and budget constraints, we will be installing laminate. I also will have a new sink.
The past couple of weeks have been typical of early summer with rain in the late afternoon and evening, however, we have not ever had this much rain and hail that I can remember. Fortunately, we sit up on high ground and have just been on the edge of the hail so we personally have not experienced the damage or flooding that areas blocks just north of us have, or the Colorado residents whose damage has been extensive. We also have had moderate temperatures compared to the rest of the nation.

No comments: